NDU Prospectus of Master’s Degree Program for International Participants 2014
The National Defense University, People’s Liberation Army (PLA), China, is the highest institution of military education in the People’s Republic of China (PRC). The College of Defense Studies (CDS), which is a part of NDU, is PLA’s top level of international military education. CDS’s main task is to train foreign senior officers, civil officials and some Chinese officers, and to conduct international exchanges and academic discussions in the fields of defense and security. With the approval of the Academic Degrees Committee of the State Council, PRC, CDS conducts master’s degree program for participants in parallel with the Defense and Strategic Studies Course (DSSC).
I. Training Objective: The training is designed to enable participants to comprehend theories of national security strategy, familiarize with the procedures and methods of formulation of national security strategy, master approaches of employing military forces to pursue national security objectives, enhance their capability of leading and organizing army building, and prepare them to become future military leaders or senior commanders.
II. Major: National Security Strategy
III. Academic Duration: 2 years in principle. But those with outstanding performance and who complete their theses in advance can defend them in front of an academic committee after one academic year of full-time training in CDS and be awarded master’s degree half year later after having passed the defense. For those ineligible for thesis defense, they can continue writing their theses after returning to their respective countries and apply for oral defense after their graduation. They can be awarded master’s degree after successfully defending them. However, those who fail to defend their theses within 2 years will be disqualified permanently.
IV. Eligibility: The international participants, who will participate in DSSC in September 2014, can apply for master’s degree to NDU if they meet following criteria:
(1) Abide by the laws and regulations of the People’s Republic of China and observe relevant rules and regulations of NDU, PLA, China.
(2) Possess a bachelor’s degree or above.
(3) Have a good mastery of English or French languages and pass the professional and language examination.
(4) Have relevant working experience and educational background with national security strategy.
(5) Meet the health standards stipulated in the agreement between the two militaries.
V. Application Procedures:
(1) Participants of DSSC may submit written applications for master’s degree on voluntary basis within ten days after the opening ceremony with relevant documents relating to previously obtained degrees (photocopies of degree credentials).
(2) CDS, after having qualification review on applicants, will carry out examination for those qualified applicants.
(3) CDS will ask the qualified participants to fill the “Registration Forms for Master’s Degree by International Participants” for the approval of NDU Degree Accreditation Committee.
VI. Contents and Methods of Examination: A computer-aided examination will be conducted to test the examinee’s professional knowledge and language competence.
The examination on professional knowledge will be held by CDS to test examinees’ mastery of theories and professional knowledge in related fields and the capability of applying them. Examinees will be asked to respond to short answer questions, exposition questions and material analysis by typing their answers into the computer.
The examination on language competence would be a standardized test including multiple choice, cloze test and reading comprehension.
Based on the results of the aforementioned examinations, an interview will be conducted among qualified examinees. Their performances in the interview will not count in the final total marks but will be a necessary reference.
For other matters not mentioned herein, please contact the liaison officers of each Course.
National Defense University
September 15th, 2014
Copyright: International College of Defence Studies, NDU, PLA, China. All Rights Reserved. Without authorization of our web-site, reprint, extracts or mirror image is strictly forbidden, otherwise it is regarded as act of tort. Beijing ICP N0 12021448